May 26, 2023

Reflection - Digital Natives & Produsage

This weeks readings, discussions, and other components on this topic have really opened my eyes to world of social median and the digital age. As someone in their 30's, I have watched the evolution of the internet, cell phones to smart phones, and everything in between, but had never really given it much thought because for the majority of my life, the internet and technology have been there.

Referring to Prensky (2001) and Sorrentino (2018), there is quite a lot to be said about the generations and their technological abilities. The younger generations have either grown with it, or have had it from the beginning, while the older generations (baby boomers for example) have had to learn it. In this weeks discussion, Jean mentions a valid point that age or generational stereotypes can lead to misconceptions about those who are tech savvy. 

After reviewing all of this information, my opinion has shifted on the concept of digital natives and digital immigrants. I think that if someone puts forth the time and effort to learn the digital lifestyle. Although some generations have an advantage, I think it is up to the user and their skills and drive. 

Produsage was a concept I was unfamiliar with until this week, but it makes sense! I became more aware of this concept when I compared it to my students and how our classroom structure works. I require my students to take a great deal of responsibility and accountability in their own learning, especially since they are a bit more tech savvy than myself. They are creators of reviews and presentations and other components for our course, but at the same time they are the learners, so it has been interesting to add that concept into a practice that I already have established in my professional world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment