May 24, 2023

Are in person conversations a thing of the past??

Society today has the world at its fingertips...literally. Our culture had become so immersed in technology, that it seems that all direct human interaction is declining. After perusing several articles on the concept of Digital Natives vs. Digital immigrants, I began to question my own abilities and my own perceptions on the definitions. 

Digital Natives are those generations who were born in the era of technology. Who have always had the internet and other digital media. Digital Immigrants are those generations who have had to extend through the learning curves of ever changing technology. 

I myself grew up when dial up internet was the trend and you could not be on the phone and the internet at the same time. I had the first original iPhone, and was questioning "what the heck is this??" Thinking about where I have come on my digital journey, the big question I am asking myself now is how much of this technology has taken away from actual human interaction?

I teach high school and the students today are those Digital Natives. I have seen them struggle to work collaboratively, have real meaningful conversations, and seen the nerves and anxiety they have when having to stand up and give a presentation. Now, this is not all of this generation, but from my experiences in the classroom, it is a good majority. They would much rather send a text or an email or some form of digital communication. 

So, is this the "new normal" of this generation? As technology progresses even further, will the current and upcoming Digital Natives lose that need for real time conversations?

3 comments:

  1. I find this interesting. It's not been my experience with my 14-y-o and her friends, but they have either gone to a school that pushes kids to engage regularly at "showcases" and other school events performances or they are part of her ballet family, and the ballet kids are getting much more than dance (they are expected to engage with the teachers and parents). Next year as my daughter enters high school I'm going to have to observe more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frankie! Thank you so much for bringing up your experience within the classroom. Ericka1893 brought up the pandemic and that's where my thoughts went to when reading your post. I think about my own eduactional experience when getting the Motoralla Razr was all the buzz. In highschool, when I got my first smartphone, I thought I was the coolest person walking and no one could tell me anything! Today, years of humbling and technology later LOL, I realize that technology is a tool more than anything. While I know that generational differences certainly exist, I bring up my experience in highschool to reflect on student age and associated priorities as well. As maturing happens, I am wondering how student perceptions of technology will change? A longtudinal study of your current students and their perceptions of technology would certainly be interesting and perhaps answer your question of what cost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same experience growing up with dial up internet, and the inability to use the phone and internet at the same time. I watch my teenage niece and young nephew, and they have their phones in their hands all day. They treat it as if it is an inconvenience to them when you ask them to put it away (Lol). However, at this point they are able to have meaningful conversations when engaged. I hope that remains true as they age. And like Ericka, I too prefer a text over a phone call.

    ReplyDelete