June 22, 2023

What is the cost of social media?

I am currently sitting in the airport awaiting my flight. As I am looking around, I see almost all people are immersed in something on their cell phones or tablets, even those who are traveling with someone else. Then I thought about what they could be doing on their phones....by the looks of it, they all seem to be on some type of social media based on the manner in which they hold their phone and scrolling with their thumbs. 

In this course, our central focus is on social media, however, when is enough enough? For a majority of people, their lives are dependent upon technology and social media, but at what expense? I feel as though because of social media, there is a disconnect with human interaction and it becomes difficult for people to have conversations face to face. 

Social skills are depleting among the younger generations as they have spent their whole lives in the social media era. They are also bombarded with ads, propaganda, and unrealistic beauty standards that they see on social media. As a high school teacher, I see the impact this has on young people first hand. 

We normally discuss the advantages and the bright side of social media, which is all great and true, however, their can't be a day without the night.

So this brings me back to main idea, what is the cost of social media? What do we lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment