June 11, 2023

Badges...Do they work?

I have really been intrigued by the use of digital badges. They promote competition and motivation, in my opinion. However, how effective could digital badges be in a traditional K-12 classroom setting??

Well...this is what I would like to find out! This course has offered a variety of opportunities (more to come I am sure) to receive or administer digital badges. So far, I have received one in an area that I would have never expected...blogging! That badge gave me the motivation I needed to keep blogging and pursuing different content to cover in my blogs. Now, I want to take this 'reward system' and incorporate it in my traditional classroom. 

Some things that I would do to transition this to a traditional classroom setting would be to incorporate some tangible reward to the digital reward. I primarily teach seniors in high school, so to them, a digital reward may not be a fully sufficient motivator. Components that I have considered would be to include a file within their google classroom that allows the class to see their badges and the badges awarded to others. I would then create a system of the number of badges they receive could be exchanged for something tangible like a snack or extra credit on a test or a pass on a low grade, something where they can see their efforts in more places than digitally. 

Then I question, if I make this a two part deal, am I really utilizing the concept of a digital badge?

I would argue, that yes, I am still using the digital badge concept, I am just adding another component to the system, and in reality, who doesn't want more rewards for their hard work?!

As this is still in the development and design phase, I think that the use of digital badges could have an impact on competition and motivation within a K-12 setting. I think this will place another component of engagement within the classroom and give the students something to strive for. 


1 comment:

  1. Could badges also be shown in the physical classroom? Maybe just a running track every couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete